Please read through the information below and fill out the form.
That NOT ON MY WATCH:
- Will a child be burnt or scalded.
- Will I fail to be careful around fires and hot liquids.
- Will I fail to teach others about the risks of fire and hot liquids.
In the event of a Burn, I WILL:
- Extinguish flames by encouraging the patient to STOP, DROP and ROLL, or by applying a blanket, or by using water.
- Help to stop the burning process by removing loose clothing and jewellery.
- Use cool running water for 20 minutes to help reduce the temperature of the burn.
- Wrap the burn in a clean sheet, or clean food wrap and transport to the nearest health facility for medical care.
In the event of a Burn, I WILL NOT:
- Start first aid before ensuring my own safety (switch off electrical current, avoid chemicals etc)
- Apply margarine, toothpaste, oil, shoe polish, or peanut butter to the burn.
- Apply ice to the burn, because it deepens the injury.
I will HELP PREVENT BURNS BY:
- Never leaving children unattended around open fires, or hot liquids.
- Always putting cold water in the bath first before adding the hot water.
- Turning pot handles towards the back of the stove.
- Placing kettles and cords at the back of the counter.
- Never holding a child while cooking.
- Always supervising children near candles, paraffin lamps and portable stoves.
- Immediately extinguishing wood and coal fires when done using them.
- Enclosing fires and limiting the height of open flames in domestic environments.
- Establishing no go zones for children.
- Avoiding smoking in bed and around children.
- Helping improve treatment of epilepsy.
- Avoiding overloading power points and running electrical wires under carpets.
- Keeping matches and lighters out of the reach of children.